My friend Suzanne Gibson passed away in 2010. She was from California, but was living in Richmond when we began to correspond. I was lucky enough to have one of her pocelain Little Girl Dolls in my collection, and she emailed me a photo of a sister doll, and sent me an autographed copy of her book about The Kalico Kids. The little girl has always been a favorite of mine; my dad paid $47.50 for her in 1970 in Knotts Berry Farm; he says his hand still hurts. The legend was that the doll was only made three times, then Suzanne broke the mould. She neither confirmed nor denied this claim. She was a member of NIADA, and I was thrilled to have this doll, especially since I was barely ten.
Later, I added a vinyl Kalico Kid, and many years later, another. These look porcelain and are excellent. My mom and I bought other Reeves Internationa dolls by Suzanne, and she liked it when I kept track of the prices her dolls were bringing. Her website is still up, and there arem ore storeis about her. R. Lane Herron has a good article about her in Spinning Wheel's complete book of dolls, Ed. Albert Christian Revi. Here are some photos of dolls in my collection. I miss her, and think of her often. She was a trained ballerina, and her dolls are always graceful and haunting. It was an honor to have known her.
I recently got a copy of her book. Not much on the net about her. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI recently was given one of her dolls. Thanks for this touching tribute.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter’s first Suzanne Gibson doll was Tara. We were invited to her studio in Auburn NY where she gave Amy an extra outfit for her doll. We exchanged phone numbers and Suzanne called when she made an Amy doll. She was warm , talented and welcoming. She signed everyone of her dolls. As a post script, she made delicious 🧑🍳 es and coco
ReplyDelete